Should I Be Worried if My Jaw is Clicking With No Pain?
Does your jaw pop or crack without hurting? Well, this could mean that you have a Temporomandibular disorder, TMD, which can cause pain in the face or tenderness and difficulty when you move your joint. You see, you have a joint that’s in front of your ears. This joint, also known as temporomandibular joint (TMJ), helps you open and close your jaw to talk and eat all of your favorite foods.
What are the Symptoms of TMJ?
Do you think you might have TMD? It might be good to have some more knowledge about the symptoms that TMD. There are a few symptoms of TMD that people should be aware of them. These could include:
- Decreased mobility in the jaw area
- Harder to chew hard or dense types of food
- Facial pain
- Pain in around the ears, jaw, shoulders, or neck areas
- Jaw clicking or jaw cracking or other noises in the joint such as popping
However, there are more severe symptoms to look out for when it comes to having a TMD. Some of these symptoms could involve:
- A feeling of tightness when the joint gets stuck or locked
- Swelling or tired feeling on the side of your face
- Changes to your upper and lower teeth alignment due to shifting in your jaw
- Toothaches, headaches, or neck aches
- Earaches or ringing in your ears
- Hearing problems
- Upper shoulder pain
TMJ Pain Treatment
Most patients with TMD are women than men, so have yourself examined by your dentist if you start having these type of symptoms, especially if your symptoms are severe enough to warrant a dental visit. You should go see your dentist if you believe these symptoms match yours. They can thoroughly examine your mouth and help determine if you have TMD. However, don’t worry if your dentist diagnoses you with TMD because there is always a treatment plan that’s right for each of our patients at Beautiful Smiles of Bayonne. Rest assured if you are diagnosed with TMD, there is a treatment plan that is right for you.
Beautiful Smiles of Bayonne doesn’t accept Medicaid, but we do accept several other popular insurances such as Cigna, MetLife, Aetna, and more. Visit our website to see additional coverages we take. If you live in or around Bayonne, NJ area, consider using Alter Smiles as your go-to dentist. Contact us today to set up an appointment or if you have any more questions about TMJ.