Recovering From Wisdom Teeth Removal
What to Expect When Getting Your Wisdom Teeth Removed
Surgeries to remove wisdom teeth usually take less than an hour. Anesthesia will be administered to eliminate pain. Depending on how impacted the tooth is, the oral surgeon may need to cut gums or bone and stitch wounds afterward. They may also need to place gauze inside the mouth to soak up blood.
After the surgery, recovery could take up to one week. There are several stages in this recovery period:
- Days 1-2: Throbbing pain can be expected in the first few days, as well as minor bleeding, bruising, and swelling.
- Days 3-4: During this stage there may be soreness, jaw inflammation, discomfort, and limited jaw mobility.
- Days 5-7: Most symptoms should have subsided by now, but there may be a lingering ache and limited jaw mobility.
- Days 8-10: Most patients should have healed by now. Patients who required emergency removal or experienced severe pain before the removal may still feel pain.
Caring for Yourself After Wisdom Teeth Removal
There are several things you can do to help make the recovery process smoother:
- Apply ice for swelling or moist heat for soreness.
- Gently exercise your jaw.
- Eat soft foods and drink fluids.
- Brush starting the second day of recovery.
There are also things to be avoided:
- Don’t drink through a straw.
- Don’t rinse too harshly – only rinse gently if your doctor recommends it.
- Don’t eat hard, crunchy, or sticky foods.
- Don’t smoke at all.
Affordable Wisdom Teeth Removal
Alter Smiles in Bayonne, New Jersey, will help you with your problematic wisdom teeth. They will consult with you on your individual case and provide the necessary treatment. They will also advise you on how to care for your mouth following the removal procedure. They are offer affordable care, accepting payment plans, credit cards, and insurance plans. They also accept Care Credit, which is a healthcare credit card designed to pay for health and wellness needs. Contact Alter Smiles today to ask questions, discuss your needs, or schedule an appointment!