The best way to take care of your mouth is to brush and floss twice a day. You’ve been routinely brushing your teeth for a long time but still may not be doing it right.
Proper brushing takes two minutes. Generally, we do not come close to brushing that long.
Here are a few steps to follow while brushing:
- Brush your teeth twice a day for at least two minutes with fluoride toothpaste.
- Use a soft bristled toothbrush and be gentle to protect your teeth and gums.
- Hold the toothbrush at a 45-degree angle along the gum line. Using short, gentle strokes, cover the outer, inside and chewing surface of your teeth.
- Change the toothbrush every three months and after you’ve had a cold or flu.
- Using a mouthwash can also help fight plaque.
Flossing helps keep teeth and gums healthy. Daily flossing is highly recommended for removing plaque along the gum line and between teeth.
To floss correctly, follow these steps:
- Start with about 18 inches of floss. Wind most of the floss around each middle finger. Use the thumbs and index fingers to guide floss between teeth.
- Making a “C” shape, wrap the floss around the sides of each tooth.
- Unwrap floss as you go to use a clean section for each tooth.
- Watch yourself in the mirror as you floss to be sure you don’t miss any teeth.
- Please note: Your gums should be firm and pink. If they are red, swollen, or bleeding, consult your dentist.