The best way to take care of your mouth is to brush and floss twice a day. You’ve been routinely brushing your teeth for a long time but still may not be doing it right.
Proper brushing takes two minutes. Generally, we do not come close to brushing that long.
Here are a few steps to follow while brushing:
- Brush your teeth twice a day for at least two minutes with fluoride toothpaste.
- Use a soft bristled toothbrush and be gentle to protect your teeth and gums.
- Hold the toothbrush at a 45-degree angle along the gum line. Using short, gentle strokes, cover the outer, inside and chewing surface of your teeth.
- Change the toothbrush every three months and after you’ve had a cold or flu.
- Using a mouthwash can also help fight plaque.
Keep Your Teeth Strong & Healthy!
Flossing helps keep teeth and gums healthy. Daily flossing is highly recommended for removing plaque along the gum line and between teeth.
To floss correctly, follow these steps:
- Start with about 18 inches of floss. Wind most of the floss around each middle finger. Use the thumbs and index fingers to guide floss between teeth.
- Making a “C” shape, wrap the floss around the sides of each tooth.
- Unwrap floss as you go to use a clean section for each tooth.
- Watch yourself in the mirror as you floss to be sure you don’t miss any teeth.
- Please note: Your gums should be firm and pink. If they are red, swollen, or bleeding, consult your dentist.