BOTOX® is a potent neurotoxin protein injection formed by bacterial species known as clostridium botulinum. This treatment is used by our dentists for oral, maxillofacial cosmetic, and therapeutic procedures.
Even though BOTOX® is highly toxic, the botulinum toxin is administered in minute amounts to treat muscular spasms and in cosmetic treatment to treat the removal of lines and creases around the mouth, wrinkles, forehead, nose, and chin.
BOTOX® helps in dental restoration of the contour and definition around the chin and jawline that naturally erodes with aging.
The effects of BOTOX® treatment generally last about three months, so these treatments will need to be repeated every three to four months for the best results. The procedure involves masseteric hypertrophy, frequent dislocation of the temporomandibular joint, chronic facial pain, drooling, and the temporary paralysis of facial muscles.
BOTOX® is administered via a fine gauge needle. Treatment normally takes less than 60 minutes. The procedures can be used for a number of dental restorative procedures that will relieve pain and retrain muscles.
The side effects of BOTOX® therapy include:
- Sore muscles
- Partial weakening of the muscles.
- Atrophy of muscles when used over time
- Flu-like symptoms, tingling sensations, palpitations, or nausea
These side effects are atypical, though, and usually go away within one or two days.
Chemo denervation using botulinum toxin is used in various dentistry procedures. The restricted or careful use of this therapy is more important rather than its radical use.